Long Term Care Insurance Policy Brochures for Tennessee
Long Term Care Insurance Tennessee
Long-term care issues can be complex and confusing. With so many options, services and settings in which care is given, many people delay learning about the issues until they are personally affected. Unfortunately, that is likely to be the time when you are under the most pressure to make a decision, and when time is too short to carefully weigh your options.
Because these long-term care issues deserve your careful attention, don’t wait until it’s too late to find out all you can about this important health care alternative. Don’t wait any longer to find out important information!
What is Long-Term Care?
Long-term care is the day-in, day-out assistance you might need if an illness or disability lasts a long time and leaves you unable to care for yourself. This may or may not include a nursing home stay. In other words it is a continuum of services that can be provided in a variety of settings ranging from one’s own home, assisted living facility, adult day care facility or a nursing home. Long-term care covers a broad spectrum of care and services ranging from basic personal care to medical care.
Long Term Care Insurance Tennessee Shopping Tips
- Shop around for an insurance agent and an insurance company–ask friends, family or neighbors if they recommend their insurance agent or company.
- Ask insurance agents which insurance company’s products they sell; most agents only sell products from a few companies. Compare several different products from several different insurance companies. You might need to talk with several different agents.
- Carefully compare the benefits and restrictions between policies.
- Most LTC insurance premiums increase over time. Carefully evaluate whether premium payments over a long period could be a financial hardship.
- Never pay insurance premiums in cash; do not make checks payable to the insurance agent.
- Read your policy carefully and ask follow up questions.
- Use your 30-day “Free Look” period to return a policy for a full refund if you are not satisfied!
- Understand what a Long Term Care Partnership (LTCPP) policy is, how it differs from non-LTCPP policies, and whether it is affordable for you.
Tennessee Long Term Care Partnership Program
The Long Term Care Partnership (LTCP) Program is a joint effort between the federal Medicaid Program and Long Term Care (LTC) insurers. The Long Term Care Partnership was developed to encourage people to plan for their future LTC needs, such as residing in a nursing facility or assisted living facility, or receiving LTC services in a home or community-based setting.
TennCare is Tennessee’s name for the federal Medicaid program. In order to participate in TennCare’s LTCP program, a person must have purchased and received the benefits of a qualified Partnership policy.
A person who requests TennCare payment of LTC services after exhausting some or all benefits of a qualified LTCP policy may have certain assets “disregarded” equal to the benefits paid by the qualified LTCP policy at the time the person is determined eligible for TennCare. These assets are not counted when the person’s TennCare eligibility is determined and will not be recovered during estate recovery when the person dies. This means that with the Partnership’s dollar-for-dollar asset protection, Tennesseans can protect personal assets if there is a need to apply for TennCare.